Monday, April 21, 2008

Email to Mr. Rubin

We received an email from a supporter of Missouri Coalition for Lifesaving Cures that was dismayed by the recent email alert that MCLC sent out to its supporters. Here is the email we were copied in on:

Mr. Rubin,

I just wanted to drop you a quick note to let you know I am more than a little dismayed by this recent "Be Alert" email from your organization. Please understand, I am not against your movement in any way. I am, in point of fact, a huge supporter of stem cell research. However, I am an even bigger supporter of freedom.

If people oppose stem cell research they have every right to go out and collect signatures on petitions.

Do I hope they fail in their bid? Yes, of course. That, however, is not my point.

I see no logical reason for you to request people call a hotline in order that you be able to compile "information regarding the activity level of the anti-stem cell forces." This is a political action, not a war.

Honestly, the line "be sure to tell us when and where you spotted them, and how many individuals were involved" is at best, Orwellian in its scope. I can only imagine why you would want these locations and headcounts, and trust me, I hope my imagination is wrong.

Amendment I of the Constitution states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances." This was ratified December 15, 1791 and it applies to everyone.

Obviously these people have what they feel is a grievance, and they are exercising their right to petition.

While I will continue to support stem cell research via other avenues, my faith in your organization has been severely damaged.

Regards,
M. R. Sellars
http://www.mrsellars.com/


Thank you to M. R. Sellars for allowing us to reprint his email in full.

Cures Without Cloning supports stem cell research, but is opposed to human cloning in any form.

No comments: